1/4/10

The Trials and Tribulations of a Geek-of-all-Trades

I'm a geek. Oftentimes, I've traveled the blogosphere under the title of the Arkansan Geek-of-all-trades. This is not to say that I am the end-all, all-knowing geek guru [yet]. Rather, I'm a collector of fandoms and hobbies. I've generally been open to taking up one more hobby, watching one more series, learning one more game, or joining one more group.

This has created an odd recurring phenomenon in my life, where one branch of my ever-branching tree of hobbies learns of another of my hobbies on the far end of the tree, and each side gives me this look of absolute confusion. While these hobbies are in no way mutually exclusive, a fact I stand as evidence of, some people just can't grasp how I enjoy The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya while still enjoying a good SCA event. Even more surprising is when my friends who like Final Fantasy VII give me weird looks for playing D&D.

If I talk to any one of my friends about all of my hobbies, there will be at least one point in the conversation where said friend will cock his or her head to the side and try to make sure that they are still looking at the same person they knew just moments ago. It worries me sometimes.

Part of it may be the fact that I am simply easily amused. It is easier for me to like something than to dislike it. While most of my friends share more than one hobby with me, there always seems to be these odd barriers where their fandom stops where mine flows over. I try to bring my friends into my hobbies, but I've found few people who have my level of flexibility with regards to hobbies.

This is not meant to be an insult to these people, per se. One thing I suffer from is being a master-of-nothing. For every hobby I'm involved in, I have at least one friend who knows far more about it than I do. I like video games, but I have friends who have to remind me when the games-to-watch are coming out and point out under-the-radar blips I would otherwise miss. I like tabletop RPGs, but I am rarely the one who comes to the table with a system that no one else has played.

My affection for anime tends to be the oddest case. There is this weird rift in my social circles on this point. Most of my friends like some anime, usually the harder sci-fi and action titles, with the regular mix of must see titles in with them. These people are also strewn throughout my other hobbies, as video gamers, sci-fi fans, table top gamers, or CCG players. But, very few of my friends share my love of comedy and slice-of-life titles like Azumanga Daioh, Genshiken, and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

These are all excellent titles that I would recommended to anyone. Azumanga is the hardest sell. It's hard to explain that you watch the a series for the humor when the cast consists almost entirely of female high school students. You just have to trust me on this.

If you want to make my day, ask me to recommend you where to start in a new hobby. Nothing brings me greater joy than seeing someone add a branch to their geek-tree.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this is Cheuk from the S-Words forum. Know that you are not alone in this, as I'm in the same boat as you. Geek-of-all-Trades, Master of None. At least for people like us, we can always find something to do if we're ever bored or something to talk about when we meet new people :)

    ReplyDelete